CABI Memories Circa '94

​​​​Andy Byron


I don’t remember the exact date but it was a cold Friday night in early 1994 that I decided to take a walk down Capitol Boulevard from my regular digs at the old University Inn, where I stayed every time I came to Boise.  I had heard that Boise had “the oldest synagogue in active use west of the Mississippi” and it was walking distance to 11th and State.  That claim, along with hearing that the first Jewish governor in the US was from Idaho ,made me just a little bit curious about this Jewish community.  I was traveling here every few weeks trying to get my Eagle subdivision approved by the Ada County Commissioners (not an easy task in those days), in the hopes I could resurrect my development career and move my wife and 3 young daughters out of LA to Boise.

 

That Friday night was beyond memorable and enlightening and even spiritual for me…it became a pivotal night and a moment I never expected. It actually woke up how I felt about being Jewish and wanting to bring my kids up as Jews.  I walked into the most warm and charming synagogue building I’d ever been in.  At the end of the service the lay leader, Bob Parenti, asked for any guests to introduce themselves (but I don’t believe I did) and then for announcements. From their seats in the pews people just spoke up like it was one big family get together.  I remembered specifically Rhoda Parenti announcing something that made the entire congregation laugh…SHOCKING for me who was confirmed at a synagogue where “impersonal” was an understatement in describing it and there was never an element of fun!

 

Then we all headed downstairs for the Oneg.  It was there that I was approached by Stan Speizer, Ruth Schneider, Harriett and Joe Berenter, Rhoda Parenti, and a couple of others.  I’ll never forget it.  Everyone was so unbelievably friendly, welcoming, helpful, charming…they all just made me feel at home!  I specifically remember, after telling everyone that it was a possibility I may move my family to Boise, that Joe Berenter told me his grandkids attended the Learning Tree if we needed a great pre-school and childcare.  I never forgot it, and it was at the Learning Tree where we became such great friends with Sandy and Steve Berenter because their youngest son, Jesse, was in the same pre-school class as our youngest daughter, Amy…for about 4 years! 

 

My family and I moved to Boise that summer, within weeks of CABI hiring Idaho’s first full-time Rabbi…my good friend, Rabbi Dan Fink.  Because of that night in early ’94 and because of the warmth, humility, passion and love of Dan Fink, I can say I’ve been a proud member for all of these years, served on the building committee and board a couple of times, been honored to share some of my music during High Holy Days as well as with the “Moody Jews” and…seen my 3 daughters become Bat Mitzvahs, watched them get confirmed, and witnessed our wonderful building be lifted off its foundation on State Street and moved to our new home on Latah. What a ride!!!


Popular Posts